XOS Introduces HDXRF for Rapid Detection of Regulated Elements in Toys & Consumer Products
High Definition X-Ray Fluorescence (HDXRF), the next generation technique for regulated element detection, assists manufacturers and regulators with this important public health issue. HDXRF provides an unprecedented combination of rapid results and pinpoint accuracy.
BENEFITS OF HDXRF
- Faster measurement speed enables the inspection of a larger number of toys; more than 100 times faster compared to conventional analytical techniques.
- HDXRF has extremely low limits of detection yielding truly reliable results, dramatically reducing the number of false positives or negatives.
- Look at small features with spot size of 1 mm diameter with no reduction in speed or data quality.
Easy to use
- HDXRF analyzers have a very large sample chamber, require little to no sample preparation, and can measure virtually any type of product.
- After testing, products can be returned to the production line, store shelf, or consumer.
- HDXRF can accept products ranging in size from a grain of sand to something as large as a school bus.
Outside the lab
- This versatile system is appropriate for manufacturing facilities, distribution centers and retail outlets from the point of origin to the end user.
WHAT IS HDXRF?
HDXRF is an elemental analysis technique which uses Doubly Curved Crystal (DCC) optics to enhance measurement intensities by capturing X-rays from a divergent source and redirecting them into an intense focused beam on the surface of the product. The diagram below shows the basic configuration of HDXRF used to provide lead measurement in consumer products.
The major benefit of HDXRF is that monochromatic excitation eliminates the X-ray scattering background under the fluorescence peaks, greatly enhancing detection performance. This new analytical approach results in detection limits in the parts-per- billion (ppb) range for many elements of interest in a variety of materials. Below is a comparison at one-second measurement time for lead in a toy.